Thursday, July 2, 2015

Chapter 12

The HIV screening project starts
     They arranged a big truck for this project. They wrote with big words::
“GET YOUR HIV BLOOD TEST FOR FREE.”
“NEVER SAY NEVER”
“DON’T AFRAID OF AIDS, AFRAID OF BEING LATE.”



And they also put the logo of sponsor foundations. There were 3 nurses taking the blood samples, Dr. Hussain having conversation with people giving blood samples, and a policeman in civilian attire who was just observing around and looking like a cleaner inside of the truck. They were all surprised, 300 people applied at the downtown. They started to move close to that rural area named “Camper District.” They were stopping at central parts of districts for a few hours. And they arrived Camper District around 4 pm. The truck stopped and they started to wait for people. They waited for an hour, and nobody arrived. At the end of day, they were about to leave the district desperately, a few young boy was coming to the truck. When they were on the steps, they heard three gunshots. These 3 boys were killed from their head by a sniper shot. The policeman called other policemen, they were waiting for them in a close area. They arrived just in a few minutes. They closed the scene of crime. And a very big operation started. Even choppers joined. Hussain was so shocked. He didn’t guess The Snake would be that much horrible person.

“What a cruel man...Why would he kill boys going to have just a test?” thought Hussain.

The operation took so long, they finally arrested the killer with his sniper by the help of choppers. But, they lost three more young boys. Hussain was so sad for them. It was like he was calling them to get rid of this hell, but they could not. The Snake didn’t let. Hussain decided to talk to the commissar with Bilal. They told all they know except that The Snake has partners in police department. Caterina told Bilal this fact, but she didn’t give any names. So, they could not trust all of the policemen. But after this murder, even those partners could not do much. The Snake had to be arrested. They lost 3 young men, but maybe the emperor of The Snake was about to finish if that killer would talk. After this event, they had to give break to the project  until police would let them.

Hussain was back to the hospital. He gave the samples to the microbiology laboratory. The sponsorship foundation brought the kits for those tests. They tested all around 300 samples. They found 290 negatives, 5 were high positives and 5 were in border. They did western blot test for confirmation and they had those 5 in borderline positive were actually negatives. But, there were 5 real positives. They informed Hussain. Hussain was also recording all of the results. Hussain was really tired. His wife called him. They were wondering him, they heard the news. Hussain arrived home very late. He hugged his wife.

“Don’t worry honey, i am fine. These gangs had built an emperor at this Camper District. They also bought some detectives from police department. So, nobody was able to touch them. They are coming to the end Inshallah. I pity these three young boy. They sacrificed themselves. They probably knew they were going to be killed. I hope police department do their job, and they arrest the leader of these gangs Inshallah. We just should pray for now.”

“I was so afraid when i heard about the news. It was your project. What if they bomb your truck? Please don’t go there anymore. Try to find another solution please.”

“We can’t go there anymore until police lets. What can other solution be? Any idea?”

“You should take people away from that district. Find a way to make them tests in somewhere else. Maybe you can call them to the hospital, but if the place is constant, the risk will be high.” said Mariam.

“Honey, there are 50.000 people living there. How can i call them all? Let’s keep thinking later. I am very tired now, and we have to wake up early in the morning Inshallah we can.”

Hussain was very tired and they went to bed. Mariam was full of concerns. She was very afraid of losing her husband. She had to find a way. Maybe she could offer him move somewhere else, but Hussain would probably not accept it. Hussain was a kinda stubborn person. He was loving to struggle. So, what could be the solution? Mariam was looking for a way.

Hussain went back to the hospital after having breakfast with his family. Mariam was looking so anxious and unhappy. Hussain understood her. He hugged her and said,

“Don’t worry my love, nobody threatened me. I am just doing my job. I am responsible from people living around us.”

“Then, let’s move somewhere else. A tidy, peaceful town?”

“Mariam, don’t you know me? How can i escape from struggling?”

“Honey, they killed these 3 young men, they killed that woman patient at your hospital. What if they kill you? I am so scared. You are not a cop. Please my love, please…”

“Don’t worry honey, i will be more careful, but i am responsible from all what i can do.”

Hussain calmed her down and went to work .He decided to discuss with Bilal. They had a meeting at lunch break again.

“Bilal, what is going on man? I didn’t think they could be that much cruel. What’s wrong with doing just a HIV test?”

“Sir, there are lots of HIV positives in this society i guess. The Snake infects people who he doesn’t like. So, he continues his emperor. He threatens people. I didn’t know how Alex had HIV, but now i know. Caterina, Alex and these 3 boys were all victims of The Snake. He had to show his power on people living there. I guess he informed everybody not to give blood samples, so these 3 boys didn’t obey him. He showed everybody the result of not obeying him.”

“But, why would he not let people give blood samples?”

“You know sir, if you catch HIV positiveness at early stage, the people can stay healthy. All people against his emperor are probably infected. He is kinda dictator, so people are probably silent Sir.”

“Man, we are living in a big country. He can’t rule this place. Same laws are valid there. He is not a president or governor.”

“That’s it Sir. Thank you very much for saving me.”

“Oh please, no problem. But there are plenty of people waiting to be saved. Ok, i guess the best is to wait for the police. I hope we hear good news Inshallah, i really wish The Snake goes to jail Inshallah.”

“Inshaallah Sir.”

They turned back to their job. Hussain started to call  that 5 HIV positive people. They told people when they were giving samples, if nobody called them, there was nothing to worry. So, that 5 persons might be worried. Hussain called them and gave them appointment at his policlinic. They were all worried, but Hussain calmed them down, he told them they just needed to do confirmation tests. But, he could not reach one of them. Her name was “ Anna Creek.” He checked her notes, she told him she was working in a bank. Hussain called the police that he could not reach one of HIV positives from this project. He asked them her address. They checked the address was in that Camper district.

“Oh no, what is your suggestion? “ asked Hussain.

“Never go there, we will inform our chiefs. They will try to reach her. What do you want us to say her if we can find her?”

“Tell her to come here, my policlinic. You can also give her my cellphone number and i can arrange an appointment for her.”

“Alright, take care.”

Policemen made a search about Anna Creek. They could not reach her cellphone, the last signal from her cellphone was the time when she gave a sample in that truck. They kept searching about it.

Bilal gave an idea to find her,
“We can try social websites, do you remember her face? Maybe she has a profile.”

“PD (Police Department)  should have tried this. But, i have a hope she will come here and find me. She was anxious inside of the truck. She was like being followed. All we can do is to pray and wait right now. May Allah protects her. Poor Anna…”

Hussain was trying all his best. He was checking patients, newly diagnosed HIV positive patients. He was smiling at them, taking care of them very well, so Hussain was in love with his job.So, the project took only one day, but it helped out to save at least 4 people. Where was the fifth one? Hussain was waiting for her. Meanwhile, Gabriela came to Hussain’s policlinic. Gabriela couldn’t forget him. She found a way to talk to him. Gabriela asked him if they can talk for a while.

“Oh, Mr. Hussain, i heard the news. I hope you are doing alright?”

“Thank you Miss Gabriela. We are all ok, they just killed these poor three boys. They were probably HIV positive. I don’t know what they want from those guys. They are very young.”

“Oh, thank God. I was very worried when i heard the news. Mr. Hussain, you really should be careful, this campers, they are a very dangerous gang. I am worried about you.”

Hussain was so surprised. Gabriela was a beautiful, kind woman. But he was in love with his wife, Mariam. He tried to finish conversation.

“Thank you Miss Gabriela. Don’t worry about me. I am just a human, nothing can hurt me except Allah lets. I believe in him. So, no worries.”

“But, you are the sweetest, most handsome, most hard working doctor here in this hospital. People, and patients here need you.”

“Thank you for your compliments.” turned Hussain’s face red. Gabriela liked that, she continued praising him.

“Please, that is enough. I am just a normal person.”

“But i like you so much, you are my hero, you are the prince of my dreams.” started to talk flirty Gabriela.

“Please Miss Gabriela. I am happily married and i have a son. Please, don’t have impossible dreams. And, please i don’t want to be rude, but please leave me alone right now.”

Gabriela started crying. She cried for a little while. It didn’t change Hussain’s attitude. So,she decided to go back desperately. After she left, Hussain washed his hands, he performed an ablution. He asked Allah to forgive him. He remembered the examination of prophet Yusuf (Joseph) P.B.U.H.

And she certainly determined [to seduce] him, and he would have inclined to her had he not seen the proof of his Lord. And thus [it was] that We should avert from him evil and immorality. Indeed, he was of Our chosen servants.” (Yusuf, 12/24)

Yusuf (Joseph) was a prophet sent by Allah. But, when he was a young boy, his brothers left him alone in a well. Some people found him and sold him as a slave. The governor in Egypt bought him, and his wife Zuleyha liked Yusuf a lot. Allah protected Yusuf from this fornication sin.

Bilal was observing Hussain’s room. He saw Gabriela left room with wet eyes. He knew intentions of Gabriela. He knocked Hussain’s door, Hussain opened it very fastly if it was Gabriela again. He was surprised it was Bilal in front of the door.

“Come in, man.”

“Sir, she was crying. Anything i can do for you?”

“Bilal, i don’t understand her. She told me she liked me, i told her that i was married, i had a son. She didn’t stop, i had to tell her leave me alone. I don’t know what to say. I can’t hurt anyone, but she is calling me to the sin.”

“If you want, i can talk to her Sir. She doesn’t know Islam well. She might think she can change your mind, but she has to know about your faith.”

“Would she listen to you?”

“Yeah, we talked for a few times when i was staying at ICU. I should tell her about Islam.”

“Ok, do it.”

Bilal went to ICU and visited her. He asked Gabriela if they can talk private.

“Dear Miss Gabriela, i totally understand you. You really like him, but he is a Muslim man and he has a family. The family is very important in Islam. The family is a nucleus of society. So, Islam protects woman and family. The husbands can’t even touch other females. In the holy book Qur’an, it doesn’t say, “Don’t fornicate”, it says, “Don’t approach to the fornication.” So, touching, kissing, hugging etc are the ways bringing you to the fornication. Please, try to forget him.”

“I can’t stop my feelings. I dream him every night. I don’t know what to do. Maybe, i should talk to the shrink.”

“I am sorry Miss, but i must tell you, you need to find a way to forget him. He is really an amazing man, but his faith is very strong and he can’t cheat or leave his wife and son.”

“You are right, i don’t want to be a bad woman. I will absolutely talk to the shrink. Thank you for your help.”

“You are welcome, take care.”

“Tell him that i am sorry. I couldn’t stop my feelings. I had to be professional.”

“Ok miss, i will. May Allah helps you.”

Bilal came to Hussain’s room very happily. He knocked the door, Hussain did let him come in. He found out a patient inside the room. A sad looking woman. Bilal looked at her little bit longer than usual. He was affected.
“Oh sorry for disturbing Sir. I will visit you later.”

Hussain was busy with Anna Creek. Anna came to visit him at the end. Hussain’s guess was right. But, she just came in. They started to talk,

“Miss Anna Creek, we were worried about you too much. We must do new tests to check your health status.”

“Sir, i live in that camper district which three boys were killed at that day we gave samples. It is a very bad area. The members of gangs knocks our doors regularly, they ask money for drugs. One night, they knocked the door out, i was living alone. That guy asked money from me. He told me The Snake wanted it. I told them, i have nothing. Then, he took me into his car forcibly. There were two men waiting for us. They tied my hands and mouth. Then i was fainted, and when i woke up, i was in a bed naked. I don’t know but probably all of them raped me. You can’t guess how bad i felt. He told me that i became their bitch. He told me i had to join their parties, those drugs parties. They get drunk with drinks and drugs and they do whatever they want. They threatened me, they took my everything, id cards, money, bank cards etc. If i work properly, they were going to do nothing against me. They even offered me beautiful things, clothes. The last offer was to be the fancy woman of The Snake, which means to be the richest woman in camper district. I didn’t accept, but they locked me up almost for a year. I didn’t have power enough, and i accepted. I came to give blood when i was at work. I have been working for last fifteen days. I had really horrible days doc. They are very busy with police operations right now. So, i have been able to come here. Please help me.” cried Anna.

“Oh, Miss Anna. I am here to help you. Please, give your new blood samples right now. I promise you i will try my best to do for you.”

“How is my health? Do i have HIV?”

“Well, the first screen test was positive, but we have to confirm with new tests and we need to check your immune system and your organ’s status. I am really sorry about your story. But, nobody could help you? Don’t you have a family?”

“Who has a good family in this f... district? My parents were divorced, i had to hold the life by myself. This camper district was the cheapest place for home rents. Otherwise, i would not rent from there. But i don’t understand how the police could let these bas… rule that area? They do whatever they want. They have stopped after your project. They killed these 3 boys, now the PD is finally working there everyday. Please help me.”

"I promise you i will try my best. But someone from camper district told us The Snake has friends in PD. So, we were worried to tell PD everything. Do you know anything about this? "

"Nope, i just saw a couple of them were giving something to the police patrolling there at one night. I guess bribe or  something else. I am so scared, i don’t want to be raped again. This gang is very crowded there and in jail."

"Tell me how i can reach you. "

"Take my private phone number. It is recorded on my friend's name. Please hide it very well, i don’t want them to hurt her too."

"Why don't you move from this area? "

"They would follow me. I want to escape, can you help me? "

"Yes, there is an empty flat at my apartment, you can move there. But, what if they see you? "

"I don't care anymore, they can kill me, but i need money to move."

"I can help you Inshallah. If you want, i can talk to owner of the flat, and you can visit him today?"

"Ok, sure. If he accepts, text me his phone number. "

She gave him another number (private) , and Hussain calmed her down, and she went to give blood samples. Meanwhile, Hussain talked to the owner of the flat. He accepted in one condition if Hussain became guarantor. Hussain accepted it, and he texted Anna his number. Anna gave blood samples, and she called him. She went to see the flat after  hospital. Anna was a beautiful, single girl. The owner of the flat liked her. He was living in the same apartment. He showed her the flat, she asked about the price, it was kinda expensive for her. He told her Hussain accepted to be her guarantor. She called him from this flat. Hussain promised to help her. Anna accepted, and they had a negotiation the next day. Hussain signed the contract as a guarantor. He didn't mention Mariam about Anna and all of these. Now, the difficult thing had to be done. How to move away from this district? The owner of the flat in camper district was also working for The Snake. She decided to go silently in the evening time. She asked Hussain if he can take her away with his car. Anna took her stuff with a small suitcase. She decided to bring not too much, only necessary things. Hussain accepted and he started to wait for her in front of her apartment.

"Oh My Lord, Allah, you know my intention, i just wanted to save her from this hell, please help us, save us without any problem." prayed Hussain.

Anna left the flat and she left the key on the door, and she also left a note and pasted it on the door. She decided to call flat owner after she left the district. Anna came to Hussain's car. Hussain said, "Bismillah.. "

Anna asked what he said.

"It means "In the name of Allah. " We Muslims say that before we start anything. May Allah helps us."

"Amen. Thank you so much Sir. I appreciate your help. "

Hussain was driving slowly, he didn't want to attract attention. They arrived to the end of district. They saw some people running as a group, they were like escaping. Anna saw them, she got panic, she tried to hide her face.

"Please, lock the doors. They  know me, if they saw me, they would stop the car. And please, hurry up. "

"Don't worry, the PD is following them. Here, i locked the door, but i can’t pass in red light, you put your head down."

Anna was sitting at back. She moved her face down. Hussain moved the car away from the way they were running. Hussain realized two of them were looking at him, and he was pointing out like to stop the car and give them Anna. Hussain got panic too, and he passed at the red light very fast. They threw a stone to his car from back, meanwhile another car passing from other strip crushed his car. The stone broke the back glass of Hussain's car and peeled of his head, and broke the front glass too. And the other car crushed left front door very fast. Even though that accident, Hussain and Anna were both ok, Anna was screaming and Hussain didn’t stop. He made a move like sorry from the window and he escaped. The driver of the other car got mad. He started to chase him. Hussain understood that guy, and he stopped when they arrived to a safe place. He and the other car's driver started to talk. He was very mad at first, but Hussain told him everything, he showed the broken glasses. He promised to pay his expense of the damage. He couldn't trust Hussain, they went to the repairman. He arranged a bill, Hussain paid it. Anna was so sad inside of the car. Then, they left there, and they were close to the apartment.

"Anna, my wife is very jealous, she might misunderstand. She checks out from the window whenever i am late. Is it ok if you get off here and walk to the apartment? I need to get these glasses repaired."

She accepted and Hussain went to auto glass repairman. He called his wife and told her not to worry. He told that he had a small accident, he would come back home soon. After a few hours later, Hussain arrived home. He hugged her. Mariam asked about the details, but Hussain didn’t tell much.

"Don't worry honey, i am fine, i am doing all i have to do. I try my best to save people from these hells of drugs, gangs, faithless life. I am responsible honey."

Hussain calmed her down. But he slept happy because of saving one more person from this district.


Controls of HIV positive patients

Hussain had 7 HIV positive patients left. Two of them were Bilal and Anna Creek. He found 4 of them with his project in early stage. And the last one was pregnant and she was diagnosed just before birth. She gave a birth, and the kid was started to be checked by pediatric infectious disease. Bilal and Anna had control appointment at the same day. Bilal asked permission from his chief Sivan, she did let him. They were both sitting at waiting room for Hussain’s policlinic. Anna was surprised.

“Don’t you work here, why do you wait for?”

“I am sick Miss. I wait for my next, Dr. Hussain is my best friend, but i would like to wait for my next, i respect other patients.”

“He is a great doctor, huh?”

“Yes he is. He saved my life.”

“Oh really? Mine too.”

“I believe he is the gift of Allah. I don’t know what i would do if i didn’t know him.”

Anna and Bilal started to be attracted from each other. Anna asked,

“If you don’t mind me asking, what is your condition?”

“I am positive.”

“Positive? Positive of what?”

“HIV positive.”

“Oh, wow. Oh yea, he is kinda HIV specialist. Me too.” smiled Anna and tried to shake Bilal’s hand. Bilal moved his hand on his heart,

“You are a very beautiful lady, but i can’t touch you. I converted to Islam.”

“Oh really? Islam doesn’t let you touch me?”

“Unless you are my wife.”

“Haha, oh ok. I respect you.”

They smiled at each other. Anna asked more about Islam. Bilal told her almost all the things he lived. At the end, it was Anna’s next. Anna gave him her cell phone number.

“I would like to talk to you more. Call me later.” smiled Anna at him.

Bilal smiled at him. And Anna entered the room.

“Hello Miss Anna, welcome. How have you been?”

“Thank you so much Sir. I am doing great. How about you?”

“Alhamdulillah which means thank Allah. Now let’s check your results.” looked at the screen of his computer Hussain.

“Ok, now we are sure you are HIV positive. You have this virus in your blood. We need to start therapy as soon as possible. But the good thing is your immune system is not bad.” said Hussain. And, he explained about the importance of CD4 + cells number. And her resistance test of HIV in her blood was perfect. That virus was sensitive to all medicines they can use.

“So, you need to take care of yourself well. Stay away from stress. Sleep well. Don’t stay up too late at nights. Eat well. Don’t neglect taking fruits. You can also drink some herbal teas, fruit juices etc. But one of the most important thing  for your immune system is to keep your spirits well. Don’t be sad, keep smiling and be happy, ok?”

“Oh yea, i am away from this district, but i am just worried if my ex flat’s owner finds me. That makes me stressful. Otherwise, i am fine.”

“Don’t worry, we have security at the apartment. You should be relax.”

“I guess i should change my job.”

“Ok, you can. But don’t worry. We have a good security. Is not there a security at your work?”

“Yes, there is. I should go only between home and work. I can’t go any other place for a while.”

“That should not make you stress. Now i prescribe your medicines. Thank Allah you don’t have a health insurance problem.”

“Sir, do you think i had this virus from the rape last year?”

“Probably. Did you have sex before?”

“Yes with my ex boyfriend, but it was 2 years ago.”

“Your immune system is not so bad. You are probably at your early stage, so it is possible you had it from these gangs.”

“God damn them…”

Hussain stopped and didn’t say anything. Anna understood her mistake. She thanked him a lot, and then she left. Bilal entered the room. He could not take his eyes away from Anna when she was leaving the room. Hussain realized that, he thought maybe they could be a good couple but Bilal was so young for her. He had to warn Bilal about Islamic rules. He had to be careful. They were both HIV positive, but Bilal was so young to marry, even legally.

“Welcome Bilal. Let’s check your results. Mashaallah (It happened as Allah wanted) results seem great. Your CD4 + cells are around 1000. You take care of yourself well, i guess?”

“Yes sir. I appreciate your help. Could you please prescribe my medicines? They are going to finish soon.”

“Bilal, i saw your look at Anna. Do you like her?”

“Hmm, well. Yes, Sir. She gave me her phone number.”

“Bro, you are young to marry legally. You are also younger than her. You should be careful. You know Islam doesn’t let fornication.”

“Yes Sir. I pray  Allah to make me meet the woman of my life. I am young, but i have a job, and i am working. I am taking care of my grandmother. I would like to establish a family.”
“You are right, Islam advices to get marry younger, as soon as possible, but it also should be legally. We see couples living together without marriage, they split up very easily, easier than married couples even though they have babies. We have to be very careful.”

“Thank you Sir. I will be. But, can’t i be just friends?”

“You know our prophet Muhammad PBUH told,
"If a man and woman are alone in one place, the third person present is the  devil."
So, you have to be careful. If it is not necessary, don’t talk too much. Talking makes feelings get closer,  these feelings make bodies get closer. So, remember always Allah and try your best. But as you know Allah says,
“Don’t approach to the fornication.” Looking, talking, even thinking are all approaching. Be open to her, tell her all of these, your belief. So, she will be understanding Inshallah. Ok?”

“Thank you so much Sir. I will text her all of these, if she is understanding, i can think something serious with her soon in my life, if she is not understanding, i will let her go away from my life. Thanks a lot.”

“By the way, as you see, there is nothing to worry about HIV if you take care of yourself well and take medicines on time and get your tests on time. Right?”

“Yes, Sir. Especially if you have a doctor like you.” smiled Bilal.

“Astaghfirullah (May Allah forgives me) “ said Hussain.

Genital warts with HIV

One day a HIV positive patient named Tracy visited Dr. Hussain. He told him about some problems at her genital region. She told him that because she said it started after she found out that she was HIV positive.

"Doctor, they seem like genital warts. I searched about it online and i am worried about cancer. I heard warts can turn to cancer. What should I do?"

"Miss Tracy, you better show it to your gynecologist. But don't worry about turning them to cancer, worry about neglecting it. It is probably genital wart if there's no pain on them."

"No sir. No pain."

"Genital warts are caused by a virus called HPV. It has many types. Some types are associated with genital cancers. But they usually cause it, if the patient neglect it. There are lots of therapy methods for them luckily. Gynecologist or dermatologist can burn it, or freeze it. If you don’t get this therapy, it will start growing. And if you keep your immune system well, your immune system can help you get rid of it  by the time. HIV positive patients may have immune system problems. So, they are open to many infections. And this virus HPV transmitted sexually and we can say that very big percentage of sexually active people carry this virus, especially who had more than one partner. HPV can pass with HIV, or alone too. As i told you, don't worry about virus, worry about neglecting it. "

"Oh sir, thank you so much, i was like i am gonna be cancer and die soon. "

"Do you keep having sex?"

"No Sir. I got my lecture, i just want to live. I don't have any enthusiasm for sex."

"You are a single woman. If you find your the one, you can marry him. But i strongly suggest you not to have one-night stands. It is very risky. Yes, condoms can protect you from HIV, but HPV may transmit even though the condoms. So, we say it is the most common microorganism transmits sexually. Most of the carriers don't know about it. They spread the virus. "

"I understand, i hate myself, i had lots of one night stands. I was drunk one night, i didn’t use condom. Luckily i am not pregnant. "

"Look Tracy, life is going on. The past has passed. We all have to look forward. Your spirit is very important to win these two virus. So, never lose your hope, stay happy, do all you have to do and my suggestion is to change your lifestyle. Don't stay up too late. Never have one night stand. That's it. Deal? "

"Ok, sir. Thank you so much for your help. "

"You are welcome. "


Meanwhile, Tracy went to her gynecologist, she examined her and she told her treatment options. She said,

“We can burn them, that will destroy warts, but there will be little bit burn trace. But this is the safest way, and the probability of recurrence is least at this method. Second choice i can do for you is to freeze them. They will stop growing and your immune system will handle them. So, what would you prefer?”

“Let’s burn them all.” said Tracy.

Doc, did it. She didn’t feel pain. Tracy left there happily. 


No comments:

Post a Comment